Sunday, December 4, 2011

Shot Percentages: Mike

As of late in my life, I've had a bit of trouble understanding the glorification of some players. For the love of God, just because you average 30 points a game, doesn't mean you are the be all end all for your team. I can score thirty points in a game too if I take 35 shots. (For those of you who are too lazy to do the math, scoring thirty points takes a minimum of 15 shots, minus free throws, so a 15-for-35 performance is absolutely awful. So no, Monta Ellis, I am not impressed. Corey Maggette, you had some great effort for those awful Clippers teams. But they were awful for a reason. Stephen Jackson... just... sit over there.

As you can tell, I rely on shooting percentages along with points per game to decide how reliable a player is. This is what troubles me about Derrick Rose last season. Damn it if he didn't do some amazing things, but how many games did he resort to chucking? The playoffs were especially bad for this, against the Heat, look at the one game they won. Rose went 10-22. I feel like I was the only one at the time saying that if Luol didn't catch fire, the Bulls get swept in 4! I don't blame Rose for the series. He was being guarded by a super-athlete, a freak of nature, in LeBron James, the whole series. But especially as a point guard, Rose needed to realize that he just can't keep shooting when he gets guarded like that.

Here's where the Bulls biggest issue comes in: a scorer. We don't have one other than D-Rose. That was suppose to be Boozer's role, but of course, injuries played a large role in his lackluster first season with Chicago. (I called this the day of the signing, just ask Joe.) Besides Boozer not showing up, and with all respect to Keith Bogans, you cannot win a title with him as your starting shooting guard. It can't be done. The fact that they got a first seed with him there all season is absolutely astonishing. Rose's field goal percentage the rest of the series (averaged) was 33%. You cannot win a game when you have one scorer, and he is only making 33% of his shots. Here's where my master plan begins.

The new CBA has a not-so-new rule in it, affectionately referred to as the Allan Houston Rule, a phrase coined by Bill Simmons, called an Amnesty Clause. It allows every team in the NBA to cut 1 player, and free themselves of their salary in the cap.

I honestly hope that the Portland Trailblazers release Brandon Roy, a player that, although loved by the city of Portland, simply is not worth his contract at this point, solely because of his injury issues. He may be kept to less than 20 minutes a game for the rest of his career. This is what I believe the Bulls need. If my crackpot theories come to fruition, the Bulls have another Crunch-time scorer. Now that I've published this, this will never happen. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment