Monday, December 19, 2011

Mike's Top 10 Favorite NBA Players

The season is coming up quick, and I cannot get enough of it. But, I also noticed that in my obsession of the goings on around the league, I have not written anything in a good week or so. So I decided that now would be a good time to roll out my list of my 10 favorite NBA players of all time.

10. Chuck Person

Get ready for a whose-who of NBA nobodies. I loved Chuck Person, and although most of my knowledge of him comes from old video games, (NBA Jam) upon looking at his stats on basketball-reference, the man actually had a great career. In his third year in the league he averaged 21 per game. So at least I'm starting this list off with someone whose almost relevant. Also, his brother is Wesley Person, who was absolutely dominant on NBA 2K2. The whole family dominates the video game scene.

9. Jason Richardson

Watching a young J-Rich throw it down is one of my favorite childhood memories. I was saddened when I found out that the Bulls wouldn't be signing him, but I'm still glad that a guy known solely for dunking went on to have a solid career.

8. Sexy Rex Chapman

Did you know Rex Chapman was in a dunk contest? Did you know that Rex Chapman scored 42 in a game one in the playoffs? Did you know that Rex Chapman could do this? I doubt you did. Well now you do, and now you can understand why he is on this list.

7. Jim McIlvane

He gets my vote for NBA player with the whitest name ever. He was a SuperSonics center in the 90's. Also, he is extremely irrelevant.

6. Ray Allen

He's been my favorite ever since he was with the Bucks. He's had a great career, and I was really glad to see him win a title with the Celtics. I had no trouble rooting for him through his whole career, he is really just a likeable player.

5. Reggie Miller

And I go from the most likeable player of the last 20 years, to the most hated player of the last 20 years. God, I love Reggie Miller. If I played in the NBA, I would want to play like him. He got in guy's heads, and he worked hard. He was a great off the ball player, and I loved watching him torture the Knicks.

4. Derrick Rose

Here's where my homerism kicks in. God, how can the kid who brought my team back from irrelevancy not be on my list? Speaking of irrelevant...

3. Kirk Hinrich

I loved Captain Kirk. There is nothing I love more than a hard nosed, hard working defender, with a sharp jumper and a knack for coming up when needed to. I am still a bit bitter at the Bulls for getting rid of him.

2. Thunder Dan Majerle

I loved Dan Majerly solely based on the fact that he played exactly like I do. He could hit any open shot, not the best defender, not exactly what you call quick, decent at getting open. But you know what? He made a career out of it. And I loved every minute of it. Also, I just bought a Dan Majerly jersey, so I'm pretty proud of that accomplishment.

1. Chris Mullin

I love Chris Mullin for the opposite reason I love Dan Majerle: I wish I could play like Mullin did. I have a soft-spot in my heart for sharp shooters, and there wasn't a better one than Chris Mullin. He was a bad defender, and Run TMC is one of the best 3 man line-ups in a very long time. I'd even say they played better together than Wade/Bosh/LeBron or Allen/Pierce/Garnett. Even if you don't agree, they were definitely more fun to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment