Friday, December 9, 2011

Eastern Conference Preview: Mike's Playoff Picks

The NBA season, even at its shortened length this year, is still a grueling test of a teams chemistry and endurance. But after the regular season is over, something that wears players down even more will be coming: The NBA Playoffs.

Looking back on last year's playoffs, a lot of teams made amazing improvements. I'm sorry, but teams like the Pacers do not put up that much of a fight in the regular season. But you know what? That is what makes the playoffs that much more exciting. It's that sense of urgency that causes players like Louis Williams or Dahntay Jones to rise to the occasion and show what they are really capable of.

You may be wondering where I am going with this. Well have no fear, my playoff picks are here!
Eastern Conference Seeding
1. Miami Heat
It is no secret that I hate the Heat with all my heart. But the pieces are there. And Shane Battier fills a huge hole, and Eddy Curry fills and even larger one, but it isn't a good hole he fills.

2. Chicago Bulls
Well I have no doubt that the Bulls are set defensively. But there is one glaring hole right now. They don't have an offense! At least not a good one. The Bulls don't be the Heat without another scorer. If they get Dwight Howard or even Arron Afflalo, I have them as the top seed.

3. The New York Knicks

Oh God, just kidding.

3. Boston Celtics
I have a bad feeling that father time is going to shit all over this prediction. Along with age, I can't imagine that the Rondo trade rumors are helping chemistry right now. Good luck shopping an unhappy Rondo at the trade deadline.

4. Atlanta Hawks
They always dump all over my predictions, and they have a solid team going into a shortened season. The Hawks are notorious quitters, but I think a shorter season benefits them a whole bunch.

5. New York Knicks
These guys have no point guard. They don't play defense. They have a horrible coach. They have a superstar with an overinflated ego. And I still have them as a playoff team. This is my backhanded compliment of the day.

6. Orlando Magic
No Dwight, no playoffs for this team, unless Gilbert Arenas rises from the dead. They aren't exactly a solid team.

7. Philadelphia 76er's
This is a young team, but I am still high on Evan Turner, and I believe that Doug Collins will finally give him a shot. Besides, Andre Iguodala is still there and Lou Williams is a decent guard. They have a much stronger team than any of the other Eastern Conference bottom dwellers.

8. Indiana Pacers/Milwaukee Bucks/Detroit Pistons
Any of these teams could get hot. Indiana has that new guard duo of George Hill and Darren Collison, and Danny Granger has always been a borderline all-star. Milwaukee has Stephen Jackson now, and he can be good when motivated. Detroit is full of streak shooters; Ben Gordon can light a building up with his shot. Also, I don't believe that Charlie Villanueva is nearly as useless as he seems. This team could have a chip on their shoulders.

See? Nothing out of the ordinary. Let's look at my East Playoff predictions.

Round one
Heat def Indiana/Milwaukee/Detroit in 4-5.
Chicago def Philly in 5.
Boston def Howard-less Magic in 6, Magic w/ Howard win in 7
Atlanta def New York in 7 after Carmelo stabs Mike D'Antoni to death.

Round 2
Miami def New York, unless somebody motivates the hell out of Carmelo. I give it 5 games.
Chicago def Celtics after Rondo quits on them. 7 games.

ECF
Chicago def Miami. I know I am biased. But I'm just gonna play the "Lebron won't show up" card after Rasual Butler sleeps with his long lost father.

I'll do the Western Conference tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment