Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Boston Celtics All Time Team Series

Boston Celtics

PG Dennis Johnson
SG Sam Jones
SF Larry Bird
PF Kevin McHale
C Bill Russell

6th John Havlicek
7th Bob Cousy
8th Robert Parish
9th Paul Pierce
10th Rajon Rondo
11th Tommy Heinsohn
12th Antoine Walker

Dennis Johnson

There’s a very big reason that I have 3 players in the starting lineup from the 86 Celtics: they were arguably the greatest team of all time. Why change anything? DJ was a great defender, a serviceable scorer, and a pretty good passer. He gets the nod over Cousy and Rondo solely because of the chemistry he would already have with Larry Bird and Kevin McHale.

Sam Jones

Sam Jones is one of those guys that I know very little about, but I know enough about him to know that he’s an all time great. He was a great scorer for his time and a good fit with Bill Russell.

Larry Bird

If I were to make this list and leave Larry off of it, I would be a laughing stock. And I would deserve to be. He’s a top 5 player all time, and the greatest player in Celtics history, unless you want to make the Bill Russell argument. Great scorer, great passer, he’s a man who truly revolutionized the game.

Kevin McHale

This man had some of the best footwork and best post moves of any player ever, along with being a good defender. He’s a perfect compliment to Larry, and I could see him and Bill Russell being an awesome duo to watch together.


Bill Russell

One of the greatest of all time. He won 8 (eight!!!!) rings as a player, and he’s known as one of the greatest rebounders ever. He was an elite defender, and his showdowns with Wilt Chamberlain are legendary. Bill was truly an amazing player for his time.

Bench:

PG: Rondo and Cousy are too very good backups. I really wanted to start Cousy, but I could not justify it. He played in a broken era, and wasn’t what I would consider dominant. Rondo didn’t get the nod mostly because there are rumors of him being a headcase. With his play as of late though, he could easily change my mind and make me look dumber than I already look.

SG/SF: Paul Pierce and Hondo will have to man these two slots, as I could not find anyone I could deem deserving of these two spots. Both players are great scorers. Antoine Walker is there only for a spark. In his prime, he was a player that would definitely help this team a lot.

PF/C: This team is DEEP at these 2 positions. Russell, Parish, Heinsohn, and Walker? 3 of those are Hall of Famers, and one of them is a coke dealer! Sounds like the winning formula in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment