Tuesday, January 3, 2012

All I Can Say is WOW! -Mike

Derrick Rose has pulled yet another win out of his ass. I have never in my lifetime see a player who does so much for his team. I know a lot of people were upset at Stacey King's "most dominant player in the game" comment, but honestly, try and make an argument for anyone else so far this season. You will not be able to. The fact of the matter is, when things have mattered the most to his team, Derrick Rose has come through consistently, and although it is early in the season, I would love to believe that he can do this on a regular basis. The emergence of Luol Deng as his second option and Carlos Boozer getting resurrected from the dead sure helps a lot, but Rose deserves a lot of credit. I am going out on a limb right now and just outright saying it: Derrick Rose is the best point guard in the league right now.

There's that dirty word: point guard. Ever since he came into the league, purists have been arguing on what position he really plays. He was a scorer, a prolific scorer even, but he never seemed to be able to set his teammates up well enough. Until now. I have never seen a player so intent on creating shots and setting up his teammates in late game situations. Last year, the Bulls late game offense consisted of "get out of Derrick's way." Now, it consists of much more than that. Late in the game tonight, I watched an inbound pass go right by Rose and into the hands of Joakim Noah, who then made a beautiful pass to a cutting Luol Deng. I can only imagine what I would have had to say about that last year. But after watching the Bulls this year, I think the Bulls can trust their supporting cast more now. Derrick seems to have a way of keeping everyone motivated and working hard. Maybe Thibs deserves more credit for this, but it is hard to say that Rose has not been a leader on the court this year, because he sure looks like one.

This is where I get really out of my mind. Watching Derrick Rose this season has reminded me of two players, a hall of famer and a future hall of famer, barring any scandal. (This is very possible with this man.) The two legends I see him fitting the description of? None other than Isaiah Thomas and Allen Iverson.

Damn. Watch that passing ability. Watch him create shots. Watch him support his team. Watch everything he does. If the league isn't so intent on keeping its fans and players safe, the Bulls basically are the Bad Boy Pistons reincarnated. I mean, everyone already hates Joakim as much as they hated Lambeer, why not embrace it? Explain to me how the Bulls aren't like that Pistons team. They play hard-nosed defense, and a few players (Joakim and Boozer) are great at getting underneath other guy's skins when the game matters. Rose just needs to sit back and be himself, and let the rest of the team do what they need to do.

Wait... look at this though. 30 points in games. Consistently. While not exactly being the biggest player, and often being guarded by guys who are much bigger. Who am I describing? 11 years ago, there wasn't a basketball fan that wouldn't give you the answer "Allen Iverson" to those questions. Now? There isn't a fan who would argue that that is anyone other than Derrick Rose. Rose may not average 30 a game like AI did, but he doesn't have to. He's not putting up with Eric Snow as his 3rd best player. Unlike AI's 76er's, Rose has a team around him, and a team that seems to be more of a family than a team. Look at the way all these men defended Boozer constantly last year. They knew something the fans didn't. And thank GOD they didn't listen to fans like me and get rid of Boozer, because he looks really damn good this year.

This Bulls team has me so excited, and I just can't hide it. I cannot wait for the rest of the season. Goodbye, any sleep I'll get tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment